I have an affinity for social justice, technology and the arts. According to Clifton’s Strengthsfinder, I’m an achiever. But what I value most is connectedness. By connecting individuals, communities and cultures, I consider myself a bridge builder, by which my journalism and public relations education is an useful tool. However, my inherent people skills and natural propensity to promote make me a catalyst for bringing people on board.
- Ultimately, I’m a highly motivated natural leader with a strong work ethic. I have a diverse background in journalism, education, graphic/web design, marketing and social media.
- Most recently, I was the communications director for a large car dealership in Northern Michigan. In this Web 2.0 communications role, I incorporated online tools and in-person networking to create relationships and ultimately build the company’s brand, both online and off. When given the opportunity, I acted as the voice of the company externally as well as the voice of the community internally. As directed by my leadership, I executed all communications, PR, social media, events, and content creation, among other things. The ultimate goal was to convert the online and community “audience” into showroom traffic and new customers, as well as maintain/strengthen relationships with current customers.
- As an eMarketing specialist for an online bookstore and writer/editor for a daily newspaper, I developed Internet skills, including website creation and maintenance, email/online marketing and social media.
- As a secondary teacher, I have successfully instructed and managed hundreds of students in media production and language arts classes, including journalism, photography and English. Before teaching, I reported for print media, planned and promoted community events and raised funds for nonprofit organizations.
- In addition to professional writing and publications experience, I have three years of service learning and volunteer recruitment experience on a college campus and have designed and facilitated service-learning reflection curriculum for university students. I also have five years of certified secondary teaching experience, including extensive experience in developing curriculum for the high school classroom, and specialize in integrating technology into the curriculum.
- View my resume and portfolio.